Your body has five major channels of elimination that are responsible for clearing waste products out of the body: the skin; digestive system; lymphatic system; kidneys; and lungs.
Congestion in any of these channels can result in other channels having to work harder to ensure adequate elimination of waste from the body.
Healthy lymphatic function decreases toxic burden and a properly functioning digestive system with regular bowel movements ensures waste and toxins don’t recirculate within the body.
There are some simple changes you can implement, to have better elimination. Adequate intake of plant-based fibre and water is essential for the channels of elimination to function properly.
- Enjoy a minimum of three cups of fresh vegetables daily: Choose from a variety of vegetables and aim to have a rainbow of colours on your dinner plate.
- Enjoy a minimum of two pieces or one cup of fresh fruit daily: Berries are an excellent choice as they are rich in antioxidants.
- Limit starchy carbohydrates to two small serves daily.
- Drink a minimum of eight glasses of pure water daily to help the kidneys flush out your system.
- Be active – exercise helps increase blood flow to the skin, and encourages the removal of toxins through sweat.